TBM Framework & Taxonomy

View Only
  • 1.  TBM and COBIT 5 Val-IT : Great possibilities

Posted 08-28-2018 06:58

Has anyone tried to explore the synergies between TBM Framwwork and COBIT's Val-IT Framework? I find that there is a great overlap.

By definition:"The Val IT framework is a comprehensive and pragmatic organizing framework that enables the creation of business value from IT-enabled investments. Designed to align with and complement COBIT, Val IT integrates a set of practical and proven governance principles, processes, practices and supporting guidelines that help boards, executive management teams and other enterprise leaders optimize the realization of value from IT investments."

Source: isaca.org

The three core domains of Val IT are:

- Value Governance

- Portfolio Management

- Investment Management

In my opinion, if there is a way to marry the TBM Concepts with Val IT concepts then the TBM Office can become a CIO's Decision Support Center or a holistic IT Strategy and Governance Office. 

I would love to hear your thoughts...

There is an interesting piece of information provided in the CGEIT book on IT Investment Portfolios (Val IT 2.0). I just though to share it with the community.

The two popular portfolio categorization techniques are:

1- META Group has defined 3 categories of IT Investment

a) Run the business

b) Grow the business

c) Transform the business

2- Peter Weill of MIT CISR has suggested following 4 categories:

a) Transnational Investments

b) Informational Investments

c) Strategic Investments

d) Infrastructure Investments

...Another one that is mentioned in the TBM book is Gartner's TIME model for Application Portfolio Rationalization. (Tolerate, Invest, Eliminate or Migrate)

It is worth mentioning that there are many other techniques that are used by different entities. We must also keep in mind that the investment categories are not hard bound by the nature of work performed by the functions or groups. For e.g. every new technology roll out might not fall under grow or transform category. It might well be an investment to achieve operational excellence as part of BAU services. 

When I come across terms like "Budget Neutral Innovation" or "Zero Budget Transformation", I start thinking about possible misalignment of IT Investment Portfolio. One of the immediate benefits of a Technology Business Management (TBM) implementation could be a unanimous understanding of IT investment portfolios and thereafter planning process. 

portfolio management service planning certified governance of enterprise it cgeit investment planning 

Keep learning, keep sharing. 

• 2.  Re: TBM and COBIT 5 Val-IT : Great possibilities

Posted 08-30-2018 04:17

Great thought process, Aditya,  will you able to share more details about Val IT Concepts by sharing some resources. I would glad to contribute and support your thought process. Thanks in Advance. 

• 3.  Re: TBM and COBIT 5 Val-IT : Great possibilities

Posted 08-30-2018 12:24

Sure Ajmal. There is generic information available on wiki and it gives a good start. We should really research on the TBM Processes and the processes suggested in Val IT Framework. So before implementing Apptio if we were to do some kind of "functional design", Val IT can be utilized. Subsequently Apptio roll out would help us implementing what we designed. 

Whether Val IT concepts are aligned to TBM Framework concepts is something we should explore and confirm. Ideally I would want to speak to TBM practitioners to understand how do they prepare an organization for TBM journey. 

Keep exploring and posting....

• 4.  Re: TBM and COBIT 5 Val-IT : Great possibilities

Posted 10-23-2018 05:06

There is an interesting piece of information provided in the CGEIT book on IT Investment Portfolios (Val IT 2.0). I just though to share it with the community.

The two popular portfolio categorization techniques are:

1- META Group has defined 3 categories of IT Investment

a) Run the business

b) Grow the business

c) Transform the business

2- Peter Weill of MIT CISR has suggested following 4 categories:

a) Transnational Investments

b) Informational Investments

c) Strategic Investments

d) Infrastructure Investments

...Another one that is mentioned in the TBM book is Gartner's TIME model for Application Portfolio Rationalization. (Tolerate, Invest, Eliminate or Migrate)

It is worth mentioning that there are many other techniques that are used by different entities. We must also keep in mind that the investment categories are not hard bound by the nature of work performed by the functions or groups. For e.g. every new technology roll out might not fall under grow or transform category. It might well be an investment to achieve operational excellence as part of BAU services. 

When I come across terms like "Budget Neutral Innovation" or "Zero Budget Transformation", I start thinking about possible misalignment of IT Investment Portfolio. One of the immediate benefits of a Technology Business Management (TBM) implementation could be a unanimous understanding of IT investment portfolios and thereafter planning process. 

portfolio management service planning certified governance of enterprise it cgeit investment planning 

• 5.  Re: TBM and COBIT 5 Val-IT : Great possibilities

Posted 05-16-2019 02:05

Hello TBM Fellows,

I have recently published a point of view on Wipro.com about "How to run IT as a business". Please check out the link provided below to access the document.

How to run IT as a business

I would love to know your feedback/comments.

Regards,

Aditya Dashora