TBM Framework & Taxonomy

View Only
  • 1.  Labor Activities of the Compute/Servers Tower

Posted 11-14-2019 17:37

Can someone share what labor activities should fall under the Compute/Servers tower?  For example, provisioning or upgrading the OS would these fall under here or somewhere?

We offer hosting managed services similar to AWS:

We have a team(s) that are responsible for this activity.  Which means we remove them from Compute making the labor supporting the compute tower very light.  Therefore my question. 

• 2.  Re: Labor Activities of the Compute/Servers Tower

Posted 11-14-2019 19:14

Per the 3.0 Taxonomy

TBM Taxonomy v3.0  

"Compute refers to both general and special-purpose devices and software that are programmed to carry out a set of arithmetic or logical operations. In essence, it provides the “brains” to process application and user requests. Compute includes a wide range of physical and virtual servers differentiated by platform and operating system. The Compute tower should include all direct hardware, software, labor and outside service costs."

For the Labor portion, I would include staff (internal or external)  that builds the servers, installs the software, application, storage devices and backup devices etc should be allocated to the compute tower.  You can also assign a sub-tower to indicate what type of operating system they are supporting.

Hope this helps!

-m

• 3.  Re: Labor Activities of the Compute/Servers Tower

Posted 11-14-2019 20:12

Jeffrey,

From a labor perspective within the Compute tower, you should include any and all systems analysts/engineers that provide the engineering, technical operations & support, planning & process mgmt, and administration.  This covers the services you called out above (e.g. provisioning, upgrading, patching).  

Specific to monitoring, if you have a centralized "operations center" (e.g. NOC/GOC), these monitoring activities and associated costs should be allocated to Delivery > Operations Center.

• 4.  Re: Labor Activities of the Compute/Servers Tower

Posted 11-14-2019 20:49

Ed, would this fall under the Servers sub tower?

If so our compute tower directly funds our Compute services.  In an attempt to mirror cloud compute services, won’t including labor like provisioning potential inflate our on prem servers?  I’m using the AWS managed services features in driving my thought process.

This is all in attempt to determine metrics to measure cost when considering moving to the cloud.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>