TBM Framework & Taxonomy

View Only
  • 1.  Is there any guidance or documented best practices for aligning your services to the TBM Taxonomy (V2) ?

Posted 12-05-2016 12:44

In reviewing the layers (i.e. Service Type, Service Category, etc.) within the TBM Taxonomy (V2)... it would be good to know how other organizations attempted to map/align some of their specific services to this new version of the industry working standard and what sort of guidance or best practices can be shared with others proceeding along this journey.

• 2.  Re: Is there any guidance or documented best practices for aligning your services to the TBM Taxonomy (V2) ?

Posted 12-05-2016 13:07

Hi Andrew,

I agree that it would be a very useful document but it might be a bit early as folks are just coming to grips with V2. However, the same feedback/lessons from V1 would be useful. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything that already exists. In talking to a lot of folks over the past couple of years, many adopted what they could of the taxonomy outright and made exceptions/customizations where needed. 

Perhaps others on Connect could provide some insight into how they approached their own service definitions in light of the V1 taxonomy: Michel Brassart larry.link@xerox.com">Larry Link Lisa StalterBrian WissingerAaron Almaraz Gboyega Adebayo

I'm very interested in this too.

Todd

• 3.  Re: Is there any guidance or documented best practices for aligning your services to the TBM Taxonomy (V2) ?

Posted 12-07-2016 15:35

Hi Andrew and Todd, I'd be happy to talk about how we linked our CHRISTUS taxonomy to the V1 as we moved from a custom model to the ATUM model.  Please message me here and we can talk offline. - Thanks

• 4.  Re: Is there any guidance or documented best practices for aligning your services to the TBM Taxonomy (V2) ?

Posted 12-14-2016 08:30

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply... and I would definitely like to discuss your journey to the ATUM model... however, I've been somewhat busy lately and will likely not have time available until the new year to follow-up on this...  is that okay ?  Let me know.  Thanks again.

• 5.  Re: Is there any guidance or documented best practices for aligning your services to the TBM Taxonomy (V2) ?

Posted 01-26-2017 17:03

Hi Andrew,

Yes, just let me know when you would like to discuss. 

Thanks.

• 6.  Re: Is there any guidance or documented best practices for aligning your services to the TBM Taxonomy (V2) ?

Posted 02-16-2017 12:20

Andrew,

The way we've assigned TBM (both versions 1 and 2) is by 'product' by Vendor. An example would be a CDN vendor that offers both file delivery and some value added applications. We would then assign the costs for the 'product' File Delivery to the Tower/Subtower Network/Transport and the apps to Application/Middleware. 

We've gone through all of our products from all of our vendors in a similiar fashion, allowing us to have a complete Tower/Subtower view of all costs that we allocate. 

We've yet to address the Services layer, but it's on the road map for this calendar year. I'd be interested to hear what you learn about, and to share how this year goes for us as well. 

Josh