Online Community Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
1. The Rules
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
2. Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
3. Code of Conduct
- This site is provided as a service for the members of the TBM Council. The TBM Council is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the TBM Council or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the TBM Council be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
- Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the TBM Council and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
- Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
- The TBM Council does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the TBM Council we will take all appropriate action.
- The TBM Council reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
TBM Council Membership Agreement
THIS TBM COUNCIL GENERAL MEMBER AGREEMENT SETS FORTH THE TERMS THAT GOVERN YOUR MEMBERSHIP WITH THE TECHNOLOGY BUSINESS COUNCIL, LTD. (“TBM COUNCIL”) AND IS EFFECTIVE ONCE YOU CLICK “I AGREE” OR SIMILAR PHRASE (the “Effective Date”) upon which you (“You” or “Member”) hereby agree that for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, these terms govern your membership with the TBM Council.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS DO NOT CLICK THE “I AGREE BUTTON”.
1. Term & Termination.
- Term. This Agreement will take effect upon the Effective Date and will remain in effect until terminated by either party.
- Termination by Member. Membership is voluntary and members are free to terminate their membership at any time by notifying the TBM Council in writing and ceasing to participate in TBM Council meetings.
- Termination by TBM Council. TBM Council reserves the right to terminate membership at any time without notice.
- The TBM Council may periodically change the Terms of this Agreement without notice to you, so please check this Agreement from time to time. You hereby agree to review this Agreement periodically, so that you are aware of any modifications.
- Effect of Termination. In addition to the "Miscellaneous" section below, the provisions concerning Contributions of Material, Confidentiality and Access, No License, warranty, termination, and governing law will survive the termination of this Agreement.
2. Contributions of Material.
- All Contributions become the property of the TBM Council, which it may use, or license others to use, the Contributions in any manner whatsoever, at any time, and in any and all media now known or hereafter invented, including but not limited to print, broadcasting, and online media. Further, if the Member voluntarily participates in any filmed or recorded session while participating with the Council he or she also grants the Council right and permission to photograph, film, record and portray Member’s name, voice, actions, and likeness, and to modify, edit, use, and reproduce all resulting works, (which works will also be “Contributions” as used herein).
- You hereby grant to the TBM Council a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty free, perpetual, transferable license to use, reproduce, display, prepare derivative works of, sublicense, and distribute (internally and externally) anything submitted to the TBM Council that is not owned by the TBM Council as a result of Section 2(b) for whatever reason.
4. Relationship of the Parties.
- Confidentiality. Members acknowledge their membership is limited to certain TBM professionals and to maintain the integrity and open-forum nature of the group, information shared within the TBM Council shall be treated with professional courtesy and never be used or disclosed outside of the context or spirit of collaboration. Contemplated and permitted uses include leveraging provided best practices to better run IT like a business within your organization, but do not include use that derives independent commercial value from such material either by marketing, selling or distributing a product or service derived therefrom or otherwise. Members shall take reasonable measures to protect the secrecy of, and avoid disclosure and unauthorized use of TBM Council or other Members Confidential Information. Confidential information shall include, but not be limited to intellectual property, trade secrets, business plans, financial information, products, services, know-how, technical information, source code, object code, pricing, customer lists and the names and contact details of TBM Council Members.
- Intellectual Property Rights. TBM Council content and the trademarks, service marks and logos contained therein (“Marks”) are owned by or licensed by the TBM Council and subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the United States and foreign laws and international conventions.
- Access. Members may have exclusive access to certain proprietary materials created by the TBM Council, and acknowledge that distribution of those materials shall not be made available to non -TBM Council Members or used in contravention of the purposes of the TBM Council.
- No License. Nothing in this agreement is intended to grant or confer any rights to TBM Council intellectual property, whether patent, copyright, trademark, or any other form of intellectual property.
5. No Warranty.
- No joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between the TBM Council and Member as result of this Agreement.
- All confidential information is provided “as is”. Neither the TBM Council nor You make any warranties, express, implied or otherwise, regarding the accuracy, completeness, or performance of its confidential information.
- This Agreement sets forth herein the entire agreement between TBM Council and Member with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral or written between the parties. Failure to insist on strict performance of any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement will not operate as a waiver of that or any subsequent default or failure of performance. If any provision or any portion of this Agreement is construed to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, such provision or portion thereof shall be deemed stricken and deleted from this Agreement to the same extent and effect as if it were never incorporated herein, but all other provisions of this Agreement and the remaining portion of any provision that is construed to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable in part shall continue in full force and effect. This Agreement has been made in and will be construed and enforced solely in accordance with the laws of Washington. All actions or claims related to or associated with this Agreement will be brought solely in the federal or state courts located in Seattle, Washington, and all parties to this Agreement expressly agree to be subject to the jurisdiction of such courts. No joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between TBM Council and Member as result of this Agreement. Member may not assign or otherwise transfer this Agreement. This Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts, each of which will be deemed to be an original copy of this Agreement and all of which, when taken together, will be deemed to constitute one and the same Agreement.